Bridlington's
Historic Heritage

1072 Manor of Bridlington confiscated
1086 Bretlinton mentioned in Domesday Book
1113 Walter de Gant founded monastery
1200 Fairs and markets granted by King John
1295 Prior of Bridlington ordered to Parliament
1300 Prior of Bridlington summoned to Carlisle
1319 Edward II at Prior’s lodgings
1388 Bayle Gate erected
1401 St. John of Bridlington canonised
1415 Henry V visits St. John’s shrine
1450 Choir School founded by Henry VI
1537 Dissolution of the Monastery Manor of Bridlington seized by the Crown
1539 Much of Priory Church destroyed
1630 Manor of Bridlington bought by locals Town Charter granted by Charles I
1636 The Great Town Deed drawn up
1637 Grammar School founded
1643 Queen Henrietta landed in harbour
1664 First Earl of Burlington created
1666 Town raided by Dutch boats
1685 William Kent born at 74 High Street
1697 Charter granted for Bridlington harbour
1698 Baptist Church built, second in Yorkshire
1743 First workhouse established
1752 Birth of Samuel Standidge, famous whaler
1763 Octagonal brick bell turret at Priory
1767 Town’s first fire engine
1771 Bridlington Enclosure Act passed
1779 John Wesley preached in town church Battle of Flamborough Head
1781 Knitting school founded
1785 Prince William Henry (William IV) landed in Bridlington
1789 Ship-building began in town Rope Walk laid out
1802 Burlington Bank established (town’s first)
1805 George Hotel, Bridlington’s first hotel
1806 Bridlington’s first lifeboat established
1811 Population: 3741. Houses: 869 Tital spring at harbour discovered by B. Milne
1818 Baylegate National School built
1822 First coastguard presence in town
1823 Town’s first policeman employed
1824 First RNLI lifeboat started service Corn Exchange built in Market Place
1828 John Usher receives silver life-saving medal
1833 Gas introduced in town
1834 George Gray receives silver life-saving medal
1836 Bridlington’s first newspaper Stone steps completed at north pier
1840 Christ Church built
1846 Railway from Hull opened in October
1847 Railway line continued to Scarborough R.Y.Y.C. formed
1848 South Pier completed
1859 Bridlington Free Press launched
1865 RNLI lifeboat Robert Whitworth gifted, First plans for piped water in town, Sailors’ & Workingmen’s Club formed
1865 Thomas Frankish receives silver life-saving medal
1866 Lifeboat Harbinger donated to fishermen by Lloyd-Graeme
Second RNLI lifeboat Robert Whitworth presented
1867 James Harrington receives silver life-saving medal
1868 Lloyd Hospital built
1869 Victoria Terrace Sea Defence constructed Building of The Crescent commenced
1870 Foundations laid for Holy Trinity Church

1871 Lifeboat John Abbott presented Six local men drowned in lifeboat Harbinger. Worst disaster in Bridlington history, Volunteer Life Company formed, Lifeboat Seagull donated to fishermen, Holy Trinity Church consecrated

1872 Priory Church lit by gas
1875 Sir Gilbert Scott restored Priory Church
1877 Promenade Congregational Church built
1880 One-horse bus service to Quay started General Tom Thumb at Roxy
1881 Court House and Police Station built
1883 Cemetery opened
1885 New lifeboat William John and Frances
1887 Christ Church restored
1888 Prince Albert Victor at Prince’s Parade
1890 Prince’s Parade lit by electricity, Harry Hutchinson awarded silver life-saving medal
1891 Population: 6840
1892 Slipway road to North Pier arched over
1893 Mr. George Dukes leaves public park,
Kit Brown, his son Fred, Dick Purvis, Tom Clark and Jack Usher rescue sailors from Victoria in a terrible storm, Presentation of Board of Trade and RNLI silver medals to Victoria rescuers
1894 Sea front lit by electricity Our Lady & St. Peter RC Church opened
1895 First meeting of Bridlington UDC
1896 Opening of People’s Palace, Donkey rides on sands introduced, First telephone exchange opened, Opening of New Spa and Gardens
1897 Town celebrates Jubilee of Queen Victoria New Post Office in High Street
1898 Inquiry into loss of Bordeaux, Loss of Kit Brown, of Victoria fame, when lifeboats Seagull and William John and Frances wrecked. Jack Creaser rescues John Robert Hopper in Seagull incident, Jack Creaser awarded Royal Humane Society bronze medal, New lifeboat George and Jane Walker, New Penny Bank opened in Queen Street, Literary and Debating Society founded
1899 Fire brigade formed in Portland Place, Charter of Incorporation signed Bridlington Grammar School re-opened
Opening of Foresters Convalescent Home Charter Day – November 9, R. Medforth, first Mayor of Bridlington
1901 Population: 12,482, Post of Bellman/Toll Collector abolished
1902 New peal of bells dedicated at Priory Emmanuel Church foundation stone laid, Clough Bridge renamed Bridge Street, Golf links opened at Flat Top House, Oxford Street Schools opened
1903 Dedication of Emmanuel Church
1904 New pier erected at NW end of harbour First RYYC Regatta in Bridlington Bay, RNLI lifeboat housed on South Marine Drive
County Council ban shooting of sea birds, Opening of Floral Pavilion
1905 Corporation power station built, First time town lit by electricity at night, High School for Girls opened
1906 London’s Lord Mayor opens Terraces, Destruction of Spa by fire
1907 Floral clock installed, New Spa Theatre & Opera House opens, Lord Baden Powell at YMCA
1910 Last market held in Market Place, Infant National School closed, Burlington Schools opened
1911 Population: 14,334, John Bull rock factory founded
1912 Coble Three Brothers built, now preserved First sight of aeroplane in town
1917 British airship flew over town
1918 Damage caused by mine explosion
1919 Peace Day celebrations and pageant
1920 First Information Bureau opened
1921 Cenotaph unveiled in Wellington Gardens
1922 Paddle-steamer Frenchman arrived
1922 First Bridlington Sea Angling Festival
1922 Fortyfoot and Kingsgate completed
1923 Floral Hall destroyed by fire
1924 Woolworth’s store opened, Avenue Park Recreation Ground opened
1925 Pitts Wall and golf course bought
1925 Bridlington Rotary Club formed

1926 Queensgate and the Avenues laid out
1927 Post Office moved to Quay Road
1928 Opening of Princess Mary Promenade
1928
Winter Gardens cinema opened
1928 Arrival of TSS Yorkshireman
1930 Dominican Convent opened, Lounge Cinema opened
1931 Christening of lifeboat Stanhope Smart, Completion of new North Sea Wall, Visit by aviator Sir Alan J. Cobham Foundation stone laid for new town hall, Fish wharf and market built on south pier, The Avenue becomes maternity hospital
1932 Spa Royal Hall destroyed by fire, New Town Hall opened Spa Royal Hall rebuilt in five months 1104 Marine Craft Unit formed
1933 Victoria Rooms destroyed by fire, Lawrence of Arabia stationed at harbour
1934 Sewerby Estate purchased for £45,000, Scarborough Road completed
1935 Notarianni’s first sell ice-cream, Signum Salutis Semper new town motto, Electricity taken from National Grid, St. George’s Boys School opened
1936 Sewerby Hall opened by Amy Johnson
1937 Public Library opened in King Street, Opening of Grand Pavilion, Opening of Queen’s Park, Expanse Hotel built Town’s first publicity van bought
1938 St. George’s Girls’ School opened, Midway Avenue bridge opened, Cruiser Yorkshire Belle started service, Clement Attlee visited town, Regal Cinema opened
1939 Flamborough Headland bought by council
1940 Woolworth’s store hit by bomb
1941 George Cross won by local man
1942 St. Anne’s Convalescent Home bombed
1943 Minesweeper HMS Bridlington adopted
1944 Visit of Their Majesties The King and Queen
1945 Bridlington Chamber of Trade formed
1947 New lifeboat Tillie Morrison, Sheffield, Replacement Yorkshire Belle launched, Cruiser Bridlington Queen started service
Time capsule buried in Town Hall path
1948 Cruiser Thornwick started service
1949 West Hill estate commenced, Bessingby Industrial Estate started
1950 Malton Dodger railway service ceased
1952 Lifeboatman Robert Redhead drowned
1953 New lifeboat Tillie Morrison, Sheffield II, Hilderthorpe School built
1954 Bridlington Chronicle bought out by Free Press
1955 Ice Age stones moved to Church Green
1959 Bridlington Free Press celebrates centenary
1961 Bessingby Road Fire Station completed
1965 Yorkshireman departed for scrapping
1966 First inshore lifeboat in Bridlington

1967
New lifeboat William Henry and Mary King, Last regular steam railway service
1968 Introduction of North Sea gas, Bronze medal awarded to cox John King
1968 Bessingby Road widened
1968 Cruiser Boys’ Own renamed Flamborian

1969
Harbour footbridge built at Clough Hole
1970 Three B’s Theatre Bar opened
1970 Crown Buildings opened
1971 Second inshore lifeboat arrived
1972 Martongate Primary School built, Lifeboat cox John King awarded 2nd bronze medal
1973 Annual fair moved from High Green
1973 Silver medal award to lifeboat cox John King
1974 Bridlington in Borough of North Wolds
1974 Gypsey Road Sports Hall opened
1975 Alexandra Hotel demolished, Fish processing plant built on South Pier, New Pasture Lane estate commenced
1976 Severe gribble infestation at harbour, Town twinned with Bad Salzuflen, Princess Margaret opened health centre
1977 Comprehensive schools formed, Our Lady Catholic School opened
1979 New Pasture Lane County Primary School opened, Bronze medal awarded to Fred Walkington, Restoration at Priory begun
1980 1104 Marine Unit disbanded
1981 Borough of East Yorkshire replaced Borough of North Wolds
1982 Sewage outfall completed
1984 Inshore lifeboat The Lords Feoffees arrived
1986 Floral Pavilion closed, Harbour top refurbishment completed
1987 B&Q store opened, New coastguard station opened
Leisure World opened, 1988 New lifeboat Peggy and Alex Caird
Bempton Lane isolation hospital closed, Lloyd Hospital closed
Bridlington Hospital opened, Sewerby Model Village opened
1989 Allen’s Promenade store demolished
1990 Tesco’s superstore built, Harbour South Pier Grotto restored
1992 Queen Street superloos opened, Lifeboat The Lords Feoffees II launched
1993 The Links golf course opened, The Lawrence Complex completed
1994 Lloyd Hospital buildings demolished, New Safeway superstore built, National Coastguard Museum established
1995 Lifeboat Marine Engineer started service, Come Hell or High Water, Bridlington’s community play, performed The Promenades shopping centre opened, The New Spa Promenade opened
Emmanuel Church destroyed by fire, Pedestrianisation of King Street
1996 People’s Palace arch demolished, 22ft. whale stranded on south beach, High Street refurbished, Harbour footbridge demolished, Community Arts Centre opened at station
1997 Hilderthorpe sewage scheme started, Boyes take over Binns building, Quay Road crossing signalbox demolished, Opening of “Beside the Seaside” museum, Yorkshire Belle celebrates 50 years cruising
1998 Flamborian leaves, Bridlington Small Business Centre opened
1999 Prince Charles opens new cancer ward, Clough Hole development completed, Bridlington School celebrates centenary
Maritime Mile officially opened, Yorkshire Marina planned for Bridlington, Bridlington’s Best Radio goes on the air
2000 The Prior John public house opens, Second bronze medal awarded to cox Fred Walkington; bronze medal to Andrew Brompton, Bridlington gains town council, The Lords Feoffees III launched, Fred Walkington, lifeboat cox, retires
2001 Fred Walkington awarded MBE
2002 Coble Society takes over Harbour Museum
2003 Bridlington Harbour Heritage Museum opened by Paul Hudson, of BBC Look North
2004 Old-style Harbour Commissioners abolished, Collapse of Chapel Street Methodist Church

2005
Publication of Full Fathom Five by Mike Wilson - a novelisation of the life of Kit Brown, Publication of Bridlington Lifeboat, the first 200 years by Fred Walkington, Bridlington lifeboats Marine Engineer and Lords Feoffees III re-dedicated at Priory Church

Compiled by Mike Wilson